09 January 2012

Thinking outside the Bazaar


Harper's Bazaar - one of the luxurious glossies of this world. 

As a new year resolution, I have taken it upon myself to focus on more intelligent magazines and reads. Yes fashion is beautiful, but there is a time and place to indulge in unachievable dreams, and often I feel poorer and completely outdated after having flicked through a fashion glossy. 

I always thought that Harper's was slightly better than all the others, with fashion but also more compelling stories and anecdotes about  people and places. And so it was, February 2012.

Perhaps not the best issue to review as it the official launch of SS12 trends, but hopefully more reviews will follow!
The issue wasn't too long, neither was it too short, nor overwhelmed by shampoo adverts and with intelligent content too. All in all, I liked it!


    
A very stern front cover in my opinion, especially when compared to colourful burst displayed by Vogue and Elle. Perhaps not too suitable to launch the bright SS12 trends either.
It is all the more odd, that behind the front cover of a serious and classic lady, Uma Thurman is shown full of glamour (almost a vamp!) inside the magazine. A fashion faux-pas you might say.



And in come the Spring Summer 2012 trends. Very bold, be it in terms of colour, shape or sparkles.
It is all a bit too bold for my personal taste and for the subdued person that I am (other than shoes that deserve a hint of colour!) if I am honest ... however the return of the 1920s Gatsby trends never came early enough, and I am pleased to see more ruffles, girly colours and detailing.






Some talking points... yes, intelligent reading! :) 



Finishing the issue with a small dose of Audrey is a stroke of genius. Because after the noise, the colours and all the selling, this photo calms you down and makes you think of your dreams and aspirations.
Back to basics, back to classic.

To finish off, some beautiful adverts! I always love looking at adverts not necessarily to look at the clothes themselves but to observe their subversive messages.  

Loving the ice cream theme!
 
 

 

 Backdrop of images: lots more Harper's (and a single Vogue!)

2 comments:

  1. sally_stitches_66620/1/12 11:00 pm

    I have been meaning to get this issue of bazaar! you recommend then? 
    i love the louis vuittion spread its delicious! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey you! :) I did enjoy reading this issue actually, it had a good vibe about it, not too much fashion brainwashing like Vogue was, if that makes sense! xx

    ReplyDelete